Gómez-Acebo & Pombo supports the UN Standards of Conduct for Business on tackling discrimination against lesbian, gay, bi, trans and intersex people.
What do the standards say?
- Respect Human Rights. Businesses should develop policies, carry out due diligence, and remedy adverse impacts of their operations to ensure they respect the human rights of LGBTI people. They should also establish mechanisms to monitor and communicate about their compliance with human rights standards.
- Eliminate discrimination. Businesses should ensure that there is no discrimination in their recruitment, employment, working conditions, benefits, respect for privacy or treatment of harassment.
- Provide support. Businesses should create a positive and affirmative environment so that LGBTI employees can work with dignity and without stigma.
- Prevent other human rights violations. Businesses should not discriminate against LGBTI suppliers, distributors or customers and should use their position to prevent discrimination and related abuses by their business partners.
- Act in the public sphere. Businesses are encouraged to help end human rights abuses in the countries where they operate. In doing so, they should consult with local communities to define what steps to take, including public advocacy, collective action, social dialogue, support for LGBTI organisations, and opposition to abusive government actions.